Thursday, May 20, 2010

First Day of Chemo

Mike, Mom, and I arrived at the clinic at 8:50 a.m. My clinical research nurse went over some things with me and then I went to the chemotherapy room to get "chemo'd", I guess you could say. I had drips that were supposed to keep me from getting nauseus. Then a drip of Taxotere, then Carboplatin, then Benadryl, then Herceptin. In addition to these drugs, I began taking the clinical trial drug, Lapatinib in pill form.

I am very pleased to report, I had no adverse reactions to any of these drugs. No itching, no chemical taste in my mouth, no drop in blood pressure or oxygen saturation. I sipped on white grape juice, ate peanut butter and crackers, even got in a few small bites of candy bars! Didn't get dizzy walking to the bathroom, enjoyed meeting all the nurses, did a little embroidery, started reading a new book, began listening to a new book on my ipod, played on the Nintendo DS Game Boy, taught Mike how to play a game on it and he took it away from me and played with it, got a cool little goody bag from the nurses, covered up with my Chemo Kalaidoscope quilt, and just got some rest.

I go back tomorrow for a shot of Neulasta that will help keep my white blood cell count from getting too low. It has side effects as do all the above drugs I took by IV today. But they might not show up until about Sunday. As for today, I am enjoying the energy I have. I am praising God for the good day I had. I am thanking God for all the medical professionals that are in my life right now. And I am thanking him constantly for all the family and friends I have that are praying for me and wishing me well and letting me know that they love me - every day. It brings to mind a scripture. Philipppians 1:3-4 "I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy - -".

No comments:

Post a Comment